The Milliken family of companies has practiced sustainability and environmental stewardship for over a century. Now, in an effort to provide the public with a transparent, inside look at our goals, progress, and achievements to date, our Floor Covering Division launched its first-ever sustainability report.
“To Milliken, success is grounded in intentional environmental stewardship and has been for more than a century,” noted Jim McCallum, president of the global Milliken floor covering division. “This report sheds light on the lofty expectations of a holistic approach to sustainability that we set for our company to create innovations that ‘do good’ for the world.”
The report was divided into five key categories: chemical and human health impacts, recycled content and recyclability, resource consumption, supply chain impacts of products and employer of choice.
We are well on our way to meeting our lofty sustainability goals slated for 2020, which include reducing our resource consumption by 20 percent across the board.
Here are a few highlights of our progress:
- Achieving zero waste to landfill goals for 22 years
- Reducing Scope 1 and Scope 2 greenhouse gas emissions by 17.5% and 6.4%, respectively
- Reducing energy consumption by 13.6%
- Reducing water consumption by 35.7%
- Reducing waste generation by 11.2%
- Including Declare transparency labels for Milliken PVC-free broadloom and modular carpet labels to now provide three third-party verified environmental certifications/labels
- Supporting charities around the world with volunteer commitments and monetary and product donations
Philip Ivey, global sustainability leader for the Milliken floor covering division, noted: “We’re holding ourselves both publicly and privately accountable for our impact on the world. We’re excited to share our division’s work to live out Milliken & Company’s Environmental Policy and role in the Milliken family of companies’ recognition as a carbon-negative manufacturer by the Leonardo Academy Cleaner and Greener® program.”
In addition to providing a detailed overview of our sustainability initiatives, the report meets the requirements of LEED V.4 MRc3 credit. Throughout the remaining months of 2015, keep an eye out for multiple advancements in several areas covered in this report.
Download the full Milliken Floor Covering Division Global Sustainability Report here: http://bit.ly/1hGrVS0