Annual report reveals resource reduction, material transparency as driving factors to Milliken’s sustainability efforts
We are proud to announce the release of the Milliken floor covering division’s second annual sustainability report. As an extension of our commitment to transparent practices and products that ‘do good’ in the world – the report gives insight into our global operations, product offering, and overall impact on the environment. Our hope is that it will inspire you to create more sustainable spaces.“Environmental stewardship is an ever-evolving journey, and we have continued to improve our actions with meaningful results for more than 150 years,” shared Jim McCallum, president of the global Milliken floor covering division. “We believe this requires a holistic approach – with continued assessments to question the status quo. This very nature of comprehensive inquisitiveness is what defines Milliken.”
In the report, our team addressed a wide range of sustainability issues that are pertinent to the architecture and design industry. Relevant topics include chemical and human health impacts, recycled content and recyclability, and resource consumption, among others.
“This report confirms that the most environmentally responsible action Milliken can take is to design high-performing products with healthy materials that last,” shared Philip Ivey, global sustainability leader for the Milliken floor covering division. “By doing so, we reduce the need for replacement – which in turn inhibits a chain reaction of environmental impacts. It protects our customers, their investment, and the environment.”
We invite you to celebrate with us many of the notable advancements that reflect Milliken’s 150-year commitment to a safer, healthier, and more sustainable world.
Key highlights from this year’s report include:
- The fulfillment of Milliken’s zero waste to landfill pledge for 23 years
- Material transparency advancements involve 31 EPDs for Milliken flooring products and 14 Declare labels to promote healthy materials
- Implementation of strategies to prolong the life of products; Built-in cushion backing expands the first life of Milliken floor covering up to 40 percent longer than hard-backed flooring and allows for reuse – the highest form of recycling
- Supplier collaborations that create accurate life cycle assessments and result in more sustainable product offerings for customers
- Significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, energy consumption, water consumption, and waste generation – positioning the company to achieve lofty 2020 goals
- Consecutive recognition as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies®, a designation given by Ethisphere Institute
- A safety incidence rating of .52 for Milliken floor covering sites, one of the lowest total incident and injury rates of manufacturers in North America
“Every day at Milliken is spent with a purpose and passion for making the world a better place,” shared Philip Ivey, global sustainability leader for the Milliken floor covering division. “Whether it is through optimizing our product materials to champion interior environments that promote well-being, or the choice to act in an environmentally respectful and ethically responsible manner, this is how we ‘do good’ for the world. We are committed to advancing our product offering and operations along this thread.”
Click here to view Edition Two of the Milliken Floor Covering Division Sustainability Report.